Located at the crossroads of different cultures and nestled in the horn of Africa, Djibouti offers travellers breathtaking landscapes. You will discover four most amazing natural wonders in the world.
Djibouti is located at the point where the Red Sea joins into the Indian Ocean and offers divers and snorkelers an ideal diving spot with its turquoise waters filled with an abundance of marine life, which can be considered to be among the world’s most beautiful. As massive tourism has not entered Djibouti yet the pristine dive sites are still intact and in their full beauty with over 200 recorded species of coral. The different species you will be able to see include Whale Sharks, Manta Ray, Pilot Whales, large schools of Barracuda as well as Dolphins.
- Lake Assal is nestled 153 meters below sea level and is the saltiest lake in the world. At this site, you may witness salt flats and the seismological probes.
- Lake Abbe features lunar scenery with its limestone fireplaces and hot springs. These give rise to incredible pastures, unique in this desert land. The lake is frequented by a large number of birds like pelicans, ibis and flamingoes.
- Whale sharks sanctuary: From November to February, Djibouti is a propitious place to watch whale sharks. These gentle giants, the largest fish in the world, come here in great numbers to feed near the coast, especially in the area of Arta beach. Swimming alongside a whale shark is a truly magical experience.
- The Ghoubet al Kharab is an amazing scenery where steep and arid volcanoes plunge into the Red Sea.
- Ardoukoba Volcano
The newest volcano on the planet! Out of the bowels of the earth in 1978, in the volcanic region of Lake Assal, it fascinates geologists and volcanologists. The Ardoukoba is living proof of the tectonic plate motion: gradually, Africa shifts away from Arabia.
Djibouti is an ideal diving spot with its turquoise waters filled with an abundance of sea life.
- Moucha and Maskali Islands
Coral islands where you can see a great variety of colorful fish in crystal clear shallow water.
- Deep-sea fishing
Djibouti waters are home to many different species: barracuda, jack fish, kingfish, grouper, and swordfish ... Djibouti is the ideal destination for deep sea fishing just an 8 hour flight from Paris!
Several other activities are available like deep-sea fishing, 18 holes desert golf course, trekking, land sailing in the desert of Grand Bara and visiting the local market where you will find the colourful handicrafts of Djibouti.
Distances to several coporte sites and local attractions of Djibouti can be found below:
Corporate & Government Offices
- Air France 0.3 km/0.2 miles
- United States Embassy 0.1 km/0.1 miles
- Douda Golf Club 12.0 km/7.5 miles
- Harbour (Boat Rental and Sightseeing) 2.0 km/1.2 miles
- The Ghoubet and Volcano Ardoukoba 48.0 km/29.8 miles
- Lac Assal 48.0 km/29.8 miles
- Market Bazaar 2.0 km/1.2 miles
All visitors require a visa to enter Djibouti. Visas can be obtained upon arrival at the airport. Visa requirements are subject to changes, please contact your nearest Djibouti consulate before travelling.
Djibouti time is GMT+3